Thursday 24 March 2011

The dress!

Wedding dress = done!

The main reason for my Mum and sister coming over to Scotland was to help me to get a wedding dress. I had promised Mum I wouldn't try any on before she got here but I had to sneak one in due to it being the only sample in the UK and not actually being able to get it to Scotland the weekend they were due to come. I sure she has forgiven me for it!
I shared the photos of this dress with a few of my friends and everyone loved it, so did I, but there was just something that I wasn't sure about. I didn't know if it was because I had tried it on without my Mum, Sister or Bridesmaid or if it was because I felt so odd seeing myself in a wedding dress for the very first time.

Anyway, the time finally came for my Mum and sister to come with me to a few different bridal shops, we had 3 picked out for the Friday and another 2 to go to on the Saturday. I wasn't totally confident that I would find the dress I had in my head, actually if I am truthful by this stage I wasn't even really sure what I wanted!

I really thought that I wanted something in Chiffon and the dress I tried on without my mum was this It was gorgeous and I felt it really suited me, I thought it would be hard to beat!Maggie Dress

So off we went on our quest to find 'the one'. I tried on about 9 in total on Friday, most where chiffon floaty grecian types and they were all lovely but none that really stuck out or that I had 'the feeling' in. Feeling a bit tired, off we went to the last shop of the day, I had been speaking with the owner and she said that although she had only a few chiffon dresses she had lots that she would recommend for a destination wedding so I went hoping!

When we arrived I spotted the chiffon dresses and instantly disliked them, my first thought was oh god now what do I do, then I thought I may as well try on something different than the picture of what my dress should be that I had in my head.
I thought with a destination wedding that I would be really limited with the types/style of dresses I could have but on talking to the owner she pointed out quite a few that she felt would pack well. All of which were completely different from what I had in my head and had been looking at on the internet. I figured at this stage I was there and may as well just try them on. I tried on a big 'proper' dress complete with a hoop! Totally not me, but I loved trying it on, a very plain chiffon type dress, and two taffeta dresses. I totally feel in love with the first taffeta dress, so not what I wanted but as soon as I put it on I felt that the style was so much more me than the chiffon types I had been trying. I was feeling good at this point so tried on the last dress, and then came the goosebumps! It was gorgeous and again so totally not what I went for. I walked out and my Mum and sister were amazed, that was it, my mind was made up! The deposit was paid and the dress ordered....ohh and we also managed to get some hair accessories to match part of my dress! Great day shopping.

Not what I went for, not how I imagined it to be, but totally beautiful, totally me and I think it even as a little touch of Spanish in it. I can't wait for everyone to see it on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment