Sunday 29 January 2012

We are married! Part 5 - The reception

When I first went to Spain, I was insistent that I wanted a hotel near the sea, my husband wasn't that bothered where it was situated to be honest he just wanted a nice venue.
On our first trip over to Spain we looked at lots of hotels near the sea and none of them really did it for me.  We then went to look at the last place on the list which we only went to as Lisa our wedding planner thought I would love it and she was right! And it was nowhere near the sea!


Gran Hotel Benahavis

I loved the setting of our reception, it was in a hotel but the actual reception was in a separate banquet hall which was set away from the hotel.  
We had a cocktail reception around the pool area and then dinner on the outside terrace. It was amazing to walk up to the terrace and see all my DIY bits and pieces coming together.  We now have our Mr & Mrs sign on our bedroom windowsill at home, such a lovely reminder of a perfect day.




We decided to do our speeches first and I'm glad we did so everyone could relax and enjoy dinner.  One of the things that came up when discussing the speeches was cava for toasting, it would seem in Spain they only raise a toast at the last speech so cava would normally only get served then, thankfully our wedding planner was able to make sure that we had cava to toast all our speeches.




After much deliberating I decided that I couldn't let the day go past without me saying something, the only guests that knew about it was our Best Man and Chief Bridesmaid as I was scared in case I couldn't go through with it, but I did and I am so pleased that I did.


 Surprise Brides speech with lots to say!

For our cake we had a local cake maker make a selection of cupcakes and a top tier of carrot cake so that we had something to cut.  We then served the top tier to the top table and everyone else had a cup cake.  There were none left so I will take that as a sign that everyone loved them.


We then moved inside (Spain has very strict rules on music outdoors after a certain time so if you use a hotel you need to be inside for music)

Our first dance was to Christy Moore and everyone thought it was a lovely song, when we listened to the lyrics it really hit a cord with us and it brings a tear to my eye when I hear it, it will always have a place in my heart and very fond memories.



Once we did our first dance, my husband went and got my Dad and gave him my hand to dance with him to the song I had picked.  We danced to this  Father and Daughter dance and the tears were flowing.

My Mum was blubbering away and so were my brother, sister and Lisa our wedding planner, all of which say it takes them a lot to cry.  I am so pleased that I did this dance with my dad, I really wanted something significant from the day to be with him as I am a real Daddies girl at heart and this was just amazing to do,  Thanks Dad!




 And then the party really started.  I was so worried with only having a small wedding that the dance floor would be empty, how wrong I was.  We had Ian from Ian Preston Entertainment and he was amazing!  The dance floor was not empty all night, I suppose that was helped by the fact that I didn't sit down, it was our party and I was making the most of it!






Everyone has told us that they had an amazing time at the wedding and lots of people told us it was one if not the best wedding that they have been too.

I have no regrets at all about bringing the wedding to Spain and we were so pleased that so many people were able to come out and share our day with us.  Thanks everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment